UVM shares New Year’s resolutions

This stress may in part be due to the pressure people put on ourselves to make and keep their New Years’ resolutions.

A study done by the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that people who make resolutions are 10 times more likely to change their behavior than those who don’t.

Resolutions reflect the best hopes that we have for ourselves, according to psychcentral.com.

This year, some students set personal goals in the form of activities.

“I want to run a marathon this year,” said sophomore Olivia Weiland, who is an avid runner.

Other students set academic goals.

“I hope to spend more time in the library this coming semester,” sophomore Sean Farrell said. “I definitely slacked first semester.”

Some students, like first-year Lea Nummelin, set goals for specific classes.

“I would like to do better in my classes, specifically math and political science,” she said.

And others focused on resolutions outside of school.

“[I want to] walk the dog every day, savor my food and celebrate the love of my family, friends and students,” said Rocki-Lee DeWitt, a professor of management in the School of Business.

Many people start the New Year with a resolution but it slowly fades away in February, according to pyschcentral.com.

But failing to keep your resolutions has nothing to do with willpower, according to pyschcentral.com.

Instead, it has to do with things that you can change in your approach to resolutions.

Successful resolutions require motivation and self-control, among other things.

Here are a few tips to help you follow through with your resolutions —

For starters, it’s crucial to work on one thing at a time; it can be overwhelming to have too many priorities.

By changing bad habits into good habits, you will soon perform the good habits without having noticed, according to the website.

Sticking to your 2015 New Year’s resolution takes work. Make sure to choose something worth working for.