UVM SToPP 5k

Stephainie Hodel, Cynic Correspondent

In the crisp autumn morning air, UVM students and Burlington community members stretched their legs and prepared to run for sexual assault awareness on college campuses.

On the morning of Oct. 14, UVM became one of many colleges to participate in the “Stop. Think. Protect your Peers” 5k.

The SToPP5k was hosted by The New Agenda, a nonprofit organization that dedicates its efforts to improving the lives of women through systematic changes in the media, workplace, school and home.

Junior Sydney Farrell has been interning for The New Agenda for almost two years and has worked to ensure the event’s occurrence at UVM this year.

Farrell is also a member of College Undergraduates Not Tolerating Sexism and by partnering with them, the event became a reality, she said.

“The sexual assault epidemic on college campuses is much larger and much more advanced than people realize,” Farrell said.

The run is one way that The New Agenda raises both awareness about the sexual assault epidemic and money to create educational content about sexual assault and consent.

“People just assume they know [about consent] and would know if they were in a dangerous situation,” Farrell said. “Many times, they don’t.”

Teaching consent has become more prevalent on college campuses because sexual assault is more integrated in the college student’s dialogue.

Clubs like CUNTS and organizations like The New Agenda and UVM’s Women’s Center are working to create educational opportunities and activist movements through events like the 5k.

Though students paid $10 to participate in the run, the goal was not just to raise funds, but ultimately to get as much participation as possible, according to Farrell.

The more participation, the more awareness. The event was made to be accessible so that students could support each other and the cause without breaking the bank, she said.

“It’s an important issue and it’s nice to be around people who are trying to create more awareness of it,” first-year Eden Harari said.

If you didn’t participate in the 5k but would still like to support The New Agenda, donations can be made on its website, www.thenewagenda.net.

CUNTS meets every at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays. Meeting location can be found on the UVMCUNTS Facebook group.