UVMtv hopes to get new studio in Taft

Katie Brobst, Assistant Life Editor

There is one club on campus that cannot wait for the construction on UVM’s Taft building to end.

If UVMtv’s hope to be awarded a studio in the newly renovated Taft building comes true, it won’t be the first time the organization moves its headquarters.

UVMtv began with its headquarters in Billings Hall but has since been housed in Coolidge Hall, Rowell Hall, the first floor of the Davis Center and now, the basement of the Christie-Wright-Patterson complex, according to the UVMtv website.

UVMtv is an on-campus, closed-circuit movie station, according to their website.

“We’re television by students for students,” station manager senior Mattie Friberg said. “If there’s something you want to see made, you can come and make it.”

Friberg encourages students to examine the media they are already consuming, like popular BuzzFeed videos, and be inspired to create something of their own, she said.

Student participation is paramount to the increasing success and growth of UVMtv, said junior Luke Belleville, public relations director.

“We want anyone, no matter what their experience level, to be able to come in and do what they want to do,” Belleville said.

However, students don’t know about UVMtv because of the location of their studio, Friberg said.

“We have the heart and soul of our members so that’s great,” Belleville said. “The biggest thing is our space. A lot of people don’t know about us because they don’t know where we are.”

To get to the studio, you have to go downstairs, through a hallway, through the bike room where the hockey team keeps their gym bags, then through another door and a final hallway.

“We’re chilling down here in this basement, which feels kind of symbolic, because we’re not seen,” Friberg said.

Friberg is discussing another move for the organization into a studio space in Taft with different people from the University, but until then, it’s difficult for UVMtv to make their presence known to a wider audience, she said.

While students can walk by or stop in at the Cynic or the WRUV station in the Davis Center, UVMtv does not have the same visibility, she said.

“There’s an in-person thing that you need to get people to understand your club,” Friberg said.

“Right now we basically only exist on the internet, almost as though this studio wasn’t here.”

Despite their hidden nature, UVMtv is putting out five weeks and two bi-weekly shows.

“We’ve had a great influx of new students,” Friberg said. “A lot of credit goes to all the people who come in here every day and make a show.”

All of their shows can be viewed on their YouTube channel or at uvmtv.org.

About the Writer
Katie Brobst, Assistant Life Editor

I am an English and Film & Television Studies double major here at UVM. I was homeschool through high school and transferred here after attending CCV’s...