Valentines’s with a purpose

Feb. 14th  marks Valentine’s Day. This is a time for women and men alike to join together and  mobilize across the world.

To demonstrate solidarity in support of justice and the elimination of violence against women and girls through Valentine’s Day’s One Billion Rising campaign. 

Why is there a need? 

Because one in three women will be raped, beaten or otherwise abused in her lifetime, according to One Billion Rising. 

That is approximately one billion women all over the world. 

More than a decade into the 21st century, brides are burned for dowries that are too small. 

Women are stoned to death because they have “dishonored” their families. 

Little girls are attacked on their way to school. 

Women and girls in refugee camps are raped as they seek food, water or firewood.

It is time to take a stand. 

“We realize the importance of our voice when we are silenced,” said activist Malala Yousafzai.

At only 16, Yousafzai is an outspoken and courageous international advocate for women’s education rights. 

While returning home on a school bus in Pakistan, in October of 2012, Malala was shot in the head and neck by a Taliban gunman.

Malala survived and now takes her activism and message to governments and international organizations around the world. 

One Billion Rising is an opportunity for survivors to break the silence that perpetuates violence against women.

They do this through art, dance, song, spoken word, testimonies and ritual. 

“Justice begins when we speak, release and acknowledge the truth in solidarity and community,” according to the campaign’s website. 

This Friday, UVM will be rising. 

The Women’s Center, along with other student organizations, have organized a One Billion Rising event at 12 p.m. in the Davis Center Atrium. 

Join a global movement to strike, dance and rise in defiance of the injustices women suffer, and demand an end at last to violence against women.