Veterans Day at UVM

OLIVER POMAZI The Vermont Cynic  David Carlson, coordinator of Student Veterans Services and former Marine, speaks at the Veterans Day Commemoration event in Waterman Lounge Nov. 11. The event honored veterans on campus.
OLIVER POMAZI The Vermont Cynic
David Carlson, coordinator of Student Veterans Services and former Marine, speaks at the Veterans Day Commemoration event in Waterman Lounge Nov. 11. The event honored veterans on campus.

American flags filled the green outside Bailey/Howe Library Nov. 11.

UVM’s Student Veterans Organization along with SGA and Reserve Officer Training Corps program honored veterans by placing small flags across the lawn.

“Veterans Day is a day for all of us cadets to remember the men and women who came before us and fought for their country,” ROTC first-year Ronan Sefton said. “It reminds us too of why we chose the path we have.”

The flags were placed in the morning and removed at sunset.

“I would’ve forgotten it was Veterans Day, but the flags were a cool, hard-to-ignore reminder,” first-year Zoe Anszperger said.

Veterans Day events occurred throughout the day, beginning at 9:45 a.m. on the steps of the library with the reading of the  names of U.S. soldiers who have fallen since Sept. 11.

A luncheon and a reception, which was open to all students, were also held to pay respects to veterans.

“I feel this Veterans Day was a success,” said David Carlson, a former marine and now UVM coordinator of Student Veteran Services.

Carlson said the day brought awarness to the “increasing population of military veterans on campus.”

Veterans Day began as Armistice Day in 1919.

An armistice is an agreement made by opposing sides in a war to stop fighting for a certain time, also known as a truce, according to Merriam Webster.

The day marked the anniversary of the armistice between Germany and the Allied nations and was also a day to recognize those who served in World War I, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

The day was later expanded to include veterans of all wars in 1954, according to the website.