Weed extract catches on

Chocolate containing CBD--a non-psychoactive chemical with anxiety-reducing effects.

Autumn Lee

Autumn Lee

Alexandra Shannon, Staff Writer

Forget back-alley drug deals and sketchy smoke shops to get cannabis, in Burlington, cannabidiol can be found in coffee shops and grocery stores.

CBD is a non-psychoactive chemical component of weed, according to the World Health Organization.

It can offer anxiety-reducing and antidepressant effects as well as relieve joint pain, according to WHO.

Sophomore Lara Cwass uses CBD oil in a tincture that she drops under her tongue.

“I’ve read about CBD being great for inflammation and a number of other health benefits,” Cwass said. “But my primary use is to relax my body before going to sleep.”

For Cwass, this cannabis product isn’t a drug.

“Combined with meditation, it is a wonderful, natural way to launch the mind into a calm state and get a deeper night’s rest,” she said.

The number of retailers that offer products made with CBD in the Burlington area has recently increased.

Dobra Tea now sells CBD-infused honey by the jar, Ceres Natural Remedies makes CBD chocolates and The Cosmic Grind offers CBD lattes.

Monarch & the Milkweed, Maglianero, Tom Girl, Pingala and Healthy Living Market & Café also have CBD products in their menus.  

Conversation around cannabis is not new to Vermont.

Governor Phil Scott signed bill H.511, which legalized the use and possession of a limited amount of cannabis in Vermont Jan. 22.

“CBD’s presence in Burlington is representative of a socially liberal community that is moving towards accepting the medicinal benefits of cannabis,” sophomore Julian Lathrop said.

CBD can be harvested from hemp — a non-psychoactive form of cannabis legalized in Vermont in 2013, according to Vermont Agency of Agriculture Food and Market’s website.

“Honestly it might have practical applications in college,” Lathrop said. “It’d be cool to see how it could help kids get to bed at a reasonable hour as a sleep aid or reduce stress from classes.”