Interview with Afroman

“Hey Afroman!” a student shouted into the rapper/singer’s dressing room window after the show, “I got a fat sack of headies for ya. You gonna let us in?”

They must’ve known that Afroman had to ditch his “vegetables,” as he calls them, while being pulled over on the way to Burlington.

But more likely they’ve heard his pothead ballad, “Because I Got High,” or his ode to 40s and debauchery, “Colt 45” (of which there was a cooler full in his dressing room).

And after talking to him, it’s clearer than ever that these songs don’t represent a gimmick or shtick, but Afroman’s being. He sings about exactly what he does, which he describes as “waking up and existing.”

Without subtleties, deep meanings or beating around the bud bush, Afroman talked to the B-Side about his new disc, karaoke stints and being pulled over by a real live Super Trooper.

B-Side: Does anyone in your family call you Afroman?

Afroman: Nah. They know who I am, you know what I’m sayin’?

BS: Tell me about “Waiting to Inhale.”

AM: I’m bored with myself. I mean I got my classic hits, but I sing them every night, so I’m just spicin’ it up a little bit.

BS: Are all the tracks on the new album parodies like “Dicc Hang Low?”

AM: No, I got some funny stuff like instead of [Fergie’s] “My Humps,” I got “My Chump.”

BS: Would you rather be as famous as the people you parody, or under the radar?

AM: If I sing for 15 people what I want is for 15 people to laugh and enjoy it. Then mission accomplished.

BS: Are these songs reflections of you being mad at the industry, or just having fun?

AM: Well I can’t get on the radio… BS: Why is that?

AM: Because I got high (laughs). You know, I haven’t been on the radio since 2001. So what I do, I just took a radio song and did my version of it… I take a song people already know and then I Afroman it.

BS: So when you go out on stage like you did tonight, what’s your goal?

AM: Have fun. The bottom line is good time.

BS: Never had that much fun in a church by the way. How’s the tour going? AM: I love rappin’ man. I’m an everyday drunk, you know what I’m sayin’? So I’m just trying to do my thing place to place.

BS: So what are you listening to lately?

AM: Akon, Devin the Dude …I play a lot of ohhhhhhhhh …type music. I just play weird stuff man. Like on my off days, I like to get drunk and go to a karaoke bar where nobody knows me and I sing “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.” Ah man, the other night, there was a karaoke bar; there must’ve been, like, 15 people there, and, man, I got good and plastered, man. I sung “Sweet Child of Mine.” I was actually Axl Rose three octaves lower [sings exuberantly, “Where do we go now, where do we go now?!”] And like 15 people who didn’t know me just gave a standing ovation.

BS: Was that in Ithaca?

AM: No, man! I was supposed to be in I-thaca and I ended up in Utica. And a lot of people want to kill me, but we’ll talk about that later.

BS: Oh man. Can we talk about that now?

AM: No, that’s why I got drunk. I don’t want to think about that. I want to make my shows. The last thing I want to do is miss a show. And I mean I felt bad but they understand. My booking agent told me Ithica and the club owners were like, “Dude we’re in Utica! Fuck! Oh God!”

BS: What’s up with Hungy Hustler Records?

AM: It’s my label, you know? The method I use to control my music.

BS: Do you have any people in particular coming out on the label?

AM: I gotta put some things out there to the public and let reality tell me. I can have opinions all day.

BS: Y ou told me you guys almost got pulled over on the way up?

AM: Man, I saw him comin’ like two miles back and I know I’m kissing 90 [miles per hour].

BS: Are you driving?

AM: Yeah, I’m playing music, you know, “Fuck the world! I’m going to Burlington.” I’m hyped up. Damn I got my new Colt 45 shirt to wear tonight I’m happy with that. Then like a truck was tryin’ to pass it. So the truck cleared just as he let the weed sack go. Im in the right hand lane, the sack flies over the truck, lands in the left hand lane. The cop drives over it. Then he comes up and he looked exactly like one of the lead characters in “Super Troopers”!

BS: Y ou know that movie is set in Vermont?

AM: Is that right? That must be the dude they based the story on (laughs).

BS: When people think of Afroman, they don’t think of someone jamming out on that Gibson – which was amazing, by the way. Is that something you can hear more of on “Waiting to Inhale”? AM: Yeah I play the guitar more. That’s my style … Like a Jake the Snake type thing -I’m too drunk to do them both at the same time though.