Pints and Produce

With the beginning of classes comes copious hours in the library, late nights and the diet of frozen burritos, pizza and cheap beer.  Burlington, however, abounds with fresh, local foods and microbrews that students can incorporate into their own off-campus meal plan. Burlington Farmers Market — This congregation of local produce and prepared food convenes weekly in City Hall Park from May until the end of October.  Through the winter, the gathering of localvores becomes monthly, held in the Memorial Auditorium on Main Street. Shelburne Orchards — This orchard has organic apple picking and a cider mill that makes fresh apple cider.  The orchard holds a number of events such as the Vermont Small Farms Food Fest and the Pie Fest & Cider House Run. Switchback Brewing Co. — Located on Flynn Avenue in Burlington, this local brewery offers free tours every Saturday at 1 p.m. Speeder & Earl’s Coffee Roastery — Coffee roasted locally and in a variety of flavors, students don’t even have to leave campus to get buzzed on this stuff — Speeder & Earl’s has a number of locations in Burlington and is available on campus as well. Burlington Bagel Bakery and Cafe — This bakery on Shelburne Road has more than 15 kinds of bagels and cream cheeses for everyone, ranging from tofu to maple walnut cream cheese. Vermont Pub and Brewery — Not far from campus, VPB is one of the older microbreweries on the East Coast.  The pub offers a large number of brews, from locally brewed ales and lagers to international competition winning beers.