WRUV DJ Profile

Name: Brad Desmond

Show name: The Conflict Theory

Time: Saturday 10-12pm

Genre of Music you play:Desmond says, “These days with all the merging styles of music and influences it’s hard to classify anything into just one category. I play music from the broad genre labeled ‘electronic’ (RPM, IDM), but mostly if I had to encompass all I play into my own words I would just say chill experimental beats. I like to play stuff you that’s a little outside the norm, make the listener step out of their box a bit. I also like to play live jams by bands who are merging the rock and electronic scenes- Disco Biscuits, New Deal, STS9, Brothers Past, just to name a few.”

What made you want to be a DJ? “I originally became interested in becoming a WRUV DJ to break out of some of the negative cycles associated with being a student. I wanted more in my life than the cycle of work during the week, partying on the weekends. I thought I wanted to do a show focusing on music coming out of the Jam band scene. However, when I got into the station and saw the vast amounts of music available I became very interested in electronic music.

Electronic music has one of those scenes that’s very difficult to break into – there’s no exposure to it on TV or mainstream radio, it’s hard to know what kind of stuff you like. The general public has this stereotype of electronic music as all being dance music (the type heard on 95.5 Triple X) or for ecstasy-crazed ravers. They don’t realize the vast amount of amazing music encompassed in this broad genre. To get into it you either need to know someone who can turn you onto it, recommend the right stuff, or you go to a record store’s electronic selection and guess what looks good to you. Having the station’s library at my fingertips has allowed me to learn more about this amazing music that is kept on an underground level from the American popular culture. What is awesome about a station like WRUV is that hopefully people who don’t have a friend to recommend good beats, or who can’t afford to guess blindly at a record store, can listen to WRUV and discover this whole new form of music that they would never know about otherwise. WRUV fills the huge gap that’s left by what mainstream media won’t play. Through this the listener can get an idea of some of the artists out there, and can go to the record store with an idea of what they like, rather than only being familiar with the very limited options of music that are offered by TV and pop radio.

Records/songs you are rockin out tolately:Tipper – Surrounded: This is chilly downbeat. Very dark but beautiful. For fans of Thievery Corp. or Kruder & Dorfmeister who are looking to get into a little more experimental downbeat. Four Tet – Rounds: Amazing experimental downbeat. Bizarre yet melodic. Less experienced beat-heads may find their previous release “Pause” more accessible. Alias – Muted: Unbelievable beats. A big step for this producer away from lyric based hip hop and more towards an IDM feel. The beats stand alone beautifly. Omni Trio – Even Angels Caste Shadows: Simply put the most beautiful and melodic Drum and Bass ever.

Anything live by Brothers Past. Live electronic mayhem. Check out WRUV online at www.WRUV.com or listen at 90.1 FM.