$1 million left for student-athletes scholarship fund

Student-athletes might get cut a break thanks to a $1 million gift and the creation of the Schofield Athletic Fund. George H. Schofield, class of ‘51, named UVM as the beneficiary of his $1 million life insurance policy after he died in 2008 at age 78, according to University Communications. Schofield was co-captain of the football team while a student at UVM and moved on to become the retired president, chief executive officer and chairman of Zurn Industries of Erie, Pa. “The endowment will generate the equivalent of a full athletic scholarship for us every year,” Director of Athletics Robert Corran said. “We’re very appreciative of this exceptional gift. It’s very significant for us, as it reinforces our longstanding commitment to excellence in both athletic and academic performance.” The Schofield Athletic Scholarship Fund will support students of proven academic ability and need who are on at least one intercollegiate sports team, according to University Communications. Recipients must be out-of-state students that graduated in the top third of their high school class, must remain in the top 50 percent of their UVM class and be recommended by the director of athletics.  First preference will be given to students from the state of New Jersey. The athletics department has not decided whether to use the funds for one full scholarship annually or to divide it among several student-athletes, according to University Communications.