A community mourns

The beginning of the academic year was marred by tragedy Aug. 18 when University of Vermont senior Derek Schueler, 21, died after a swimming accident. Schueler was pronounced dead after he was found to have drowned in the private Burlington Tennis Club located off East Terrace, the police report stated. He was with a group of about eight young adults, though police said no foul play was suspected. Vice Provost for Student Affairs Annie Stevens expressed her condolences and listed support services offered by Counseling and Psychiatry Service for those who need them in a University-wide email sent Aug. 19. ?Our sincere thoughts of care and sympathy are also extended to Derek?s friends and to faculty and staff who were close to him,? Stevens? email stated.Schueler, a finance major, was actively involved in the University?s Investment club as well as a treasurer in the Sigma Phi Society. Friends interviewed for this article each described Schueler as someone professionally motivated who had most recently concluded wan internship with Burlington-based Dealer.com, where it was likely he would have worked after graduation. Hundreds of people gathered at Schueler?s wake on Aug. 24 at the Ira Allen Chapel. The chapel was filled to capacity before the service even began at 4 p.m. By the Cynic?s count, the total number of attendees appeared well over than 700. Friends depicted Schuler as someone who was actively social and popular for his warm smile and laugh. ?He?s had a huge impact on anyone who has ever known him,? senior Ainsley Robertson said. ?He was, without a doubt, the sweetest, most selfless person I?ve ever met.?Since his death, Robertson said she has been meeting with close friends of Schueler?s including several members of the Sigma Phi Society that Derek was actively involved with. ?They have been spending a lot of time together, and they have been very inclusive of me which is nice,? she said. ?I?ve been going to his room a lot and sleeping in his bed sometimes. It helps.?Senior Blake Ingram said he thinks Schueler would rather people celebrate his life than ?focus on the tragedy of his death?. ?As a friend he was loyal, as a son and brother he was loving and as a member of the community he displayed the utmost class,? Ingram said. ?I am honored to have been friends with Derek.?As of press time, Schueler?s cause of death was not yet determined. The Burlington Free Press reported that an autopsy was scheduled for Monday. ????