AEPi incident reported

The Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) Fraternity, Zeta Pi Chapter, was placed on an interim suspension by Pat Brown, director of student life, on Nov. 12.

“An incident occurred on the evening of Nov. 7,” Jonathan Polson, acting president of AEPi, said. “Three members went to Fletcher Allen.”

The members involved in the incident were “mapped,” Polson said. 

UVM’s Medical Amnesty Program (MAP) is used in cases of extreme intoxication or incapacitation due to alcohol and/or other drugs, according to the UVM website. 

“We are taking this action because of emerging official information about social activities on Nov. 6 & 7, 2013 that appear to have a direct impact on the safety of students and violate state alcohol laws and University policy,” Pat Brown said in an e-mail acquired through a records request by the Cynic. 

Interim suspensions are circumstances in which an organization’s behavior could impact the health, safety or well-being of students, Brown said. 

Alpha Epsilon Pi will remain on interim suspension until notice of the outcome of any hearings. It has not yet been determined precisely what charges will be brought against the 

chapter on campus, he said.

“When the university becomes aware of behavior that might be related to a student organization and has the potential of creating further harm, we suspend the student organization until the initial credible information has been investigated,” Brown said in an e-mail with the Cynic. 

Once the investigation is complete, Polices Services will provide a report to the Center for Student Ethics and Standards and the Greek Judicial Board, Brown said. 

“If these units find that there is no behavior that needs to be addressed, then the interim suspension is removed,” Brown said 

“While the suspension is indefinite, we’ve been on probation for two years, so it’s not really changing much,” Polson said. 

Both Polson and Miles Schoenberg, past president of Alpha Epsilon Pi, also stressed that the safety and well-being of each brother is a top priority of their organization. 

“Everything we did, we had safety in mind,” Polson said. 

“The brothers have been brought closer together due to the recent event. The chapter will strive to prevail in our given state,” Schoenberg said.