An exhibition matchup ends in a win over Bishop’s for women’s basketball

Vermont’s women’s basketball team walked out of Patrick Gym victorious in their first action of the season, a 62-51 preseason victory over Bishop’s University. Bishop’s University, hailing from Sherbrook, Quebec, drops to 2-6 on their season.”There was a mix bag of positive and negative moments tonight,” head coach Sharon Dawley said. “The good news is that we have time to work these things out and get ready for UMass on Friday.”Bishop’s opened up the game capitalizing on preseason mistakes made by Vermont.The Catamount offense stalled, re?cording multiple early fouls. Bishop’s took the lead, holding a two-point margin over the Catamounts.The Cats kept Bishop’s from taking over, breaking into a big run. Sparked out of their jammed offense, the Vermont offense clicked to incite a 17-point run, shooting to a 29-14 lead. Junior Sy Janousek and sophomore Coutnay Pilypaitis led the offensive charge.The Cats’ defense came alive too, working the glass and led by a hustle on the boards from sophomore Sofia Iwobi, guard, and Alissa Sheftic, for?ward. Vermont held the Gaiters to just five points, heading into the half with a 33-19 lead.UVM came out of the intermission with momentum carried over from the first half.Bishop’s cut down the Cats’ lead to eight with long distance shooting from guards Jessy Roy and Katy Germain, showcasing the team’s experience in their eighth game of the season. Vermont answered through Janousek and junior Amy Rosenkrantz’s determination, increasing the lead back up 18. A late Bishop’s charge was not enough, and Vermont held on for the win.The Cats come will be back in action at Patrick Gym on Nov. 17 in the TD Banknorth Classic.