Art department to be expanded

The Taft School is entering phase one of a two-part renovation plan designed to expand the UVM art department.

The University signed a long-term lease with the Burlington School District, the owners of the building, and plans to renovate the school in order to create additional studio and program space for the UVM art department, according to the Feb. 2016 UVM board of trustees book.

The Taft School is pictured Feb. 10. The school is currently un- dergoing renovations to build studios for the art and art history department. PHIL CARRUTHERS/The Vermont Cynic

[/media-credit] The Taft School is pictured Feb. 10. The school is currently un- dergoing renovations to build studios for the art and art history department. PHIL CARRUTHERS/The Vermont Cynic

The estimated cost of the phase one renovations will be $2 million, the book stated.

The project will be financed by using gift funds already pos- sessed by UVM Foundation, according to the book.

The budget for mechanical, electrical, heating and plumbing renovations is $620,400, according to the book. For interior architecture such as fixing the walls and floors, $237,600 will be used.

Demolition has a budget of $117,600, according to the book. The budget for other project costs such as equipment, management and permitting is $673,500. The rest will be directed toward materials and fees.

“The two main reasons for renovations are the proximity of the building to the campus, and the donor who was interested in the art department and wanted to provide a gift,” Robert Vaughan, director of capital planning and management at UVM said.

Phase one of the renovation involves improving elements of the infrastructure as well as adding new rooms for different art, Vaughan said.

“I think extra studio space would benefit both art majors and creative students looking for a place to work and do art,” junior Dave Bernier said.

Bernier said he is excited about the renovations and the possibility for more working space.

“Williams has some old fashioned charm but really limited space and it can be hard to find a place to work during the day,” he said.

An ADA outdoor ramp and restrooms will be added, as well as an elevator to improve accessibility to the building and a new fire alarm will also be installed, Vaughan said.

A University data system, which runs through most UVM buildings, will be put in and distributed, he said. CatCard locks will also be installed in the entrances.

Dark rooms and other studios for photography students will be set up first, he said. Phase two will involve replacing electrical service, transition from steam radiators to hot water radiators, upgrade of restrooms, and a renovated ventilation system, Vaughan said.