Baseball Cats Set the Pace at Fourteen to One

Jeff Barry, Jay Iannoni and Jamie Merchant led Vermont to a 14-1 rout of Pace in collegiate baseball on Saturday afternoon at Finnerty Field. Winners of five straight and six of their last seven, the Catamounts banged out 17 hits to score a season-high 14 times against the Setters, a Division I Independent in baseball. Due to inclement weather- and the teams waited four hours before playing just one game today- the action was the first for Vermont since April 2nd. At the plate, Iannoni continued his torrid start going 3-for-5 with a pair of doubles and five RBI. The freshman third baseman leads the America East in hitting at .420 and has a team-high 13 RBI. Barry went 3-for-4 with a walk, scored three times, stole a base and drove in a run as the Catamounts scored eight runs in the first four innings. Barry Chamberland (2-4, HR), Jason Carey (2-4, 2 RBI) and Kyle Brault (2-2, HR, 3B) also had multi-hit games for Vermont (10-4). Merchant allowed just three hits and no walks in hurling six scoreless innings. He struck out eight as he improved to 3-0 on the season lowering his conference best ERA to 0.58. The senior righty from Colchester has allowed just two earned runs in 31 innings while striking out 34. Freshman Chris Blazek allowed the lone Pace (4-22) run in his one inning of work. The two teams will play the scheduled twin bill tomorrow and may attempt to make up the fourth game of the series that was washed out today. -SportsInfo