Baseball Team Sweeps Brown, Weather Cancels Northestern Games

Jeff Dixon, Kyle Brault and Barry Chamberland led Vermont to a double header sweep of Brown, 7-2 and 11-2, in collegiate baseball last Wednesday at Aldrich-Dexter Field. Winners of four straight and five of their last six, the Catamounts again used strong pitching to improve to 9-4 on the season. Dixon set the tone in the first game scattering seven hits, issuing one walk and allowing only one run in five strong innings to pick up his third win of the season in three decisions. Three Vermont hurlers gave up five hits in the nightcap. On the day, the Catamount staff walked just two Bears in 13 innings as UVM’s team ERA is just 2.82 in the first 13 games. A four-run third inning gave Dixon a cushion in the opener as Vermont took advantage of three Brown errors. Freshman Kyle Brault’s two-run double was the big hit in the frame. Also in game one, Barry Chamberland (4-for-8 in twinbill) had three of the Catamounts eight hits including an RBI-double. Brett Dobens came on for Dixon for the last two innings and struck out four. In game two, after the Bears’ Jeff Nichols and Paul Christian hit back-to-back homers off Cats’ starter Jared Slater to go ahead 2-1 in the second, Vermont got another big hit from Brault to plate two runs in the top of the third and never looked back. Bobby Tewksbary led with a walk and moved to third on another double by Chamberland. A groundout by Jason Carey tied it and then with two outs, Brault singled home Chamberland. The Catamounts sent 12 hitters to the plate to score seven runs in the fifth. Freshman Jay Iannoni (3-for-4) had a single and a double in the inning to drive in three runs while Tewksbary knocked in two more with a double. Jeff Barry also went 2-for-4 with an RBI in the nightcap that was shortened to six innings due to darkness. Slater (1-1) picked up his first win of the season with help from Brian Robinson (2 IP, 3 K’s) and Chris Blazek. The four-game series between Vermont and Northeastern scheduled for Saturday and Sunday at Friedman Diamond has been postponed due to inclement weather. The two schools will try to reschedule the series, the America East openers for both teams, at a later date or dates. The lingering winter weather could also jeopardize the Catamounts home opener with Plattsburgh State scheduled for Tuesday, April 8th at Centennial Field. A decision about the game will be made on Monday.-SportsInfo