Bisco Back in Burlington

The lights go down, sound erupts and glow sticks emerge. And so the Biscuits guide their ship of ever changing tunes through a sea of raving fluorescent lights. Brothers Past started out the show with a strong lead. Through a whirl of solid lights and sound they gave promise to the jam band scene, their more structured sound making it easy for rookies to adjust to the feel of a boundless show. With a heavy emphasis on the “trance” feeling, Brothers Past spread the red carpet for the Biscuits with finesse. A long time later, the Biscuits took the stage. The wait was worth it, as Bisco fans surged forth with energy and glow sticks. For the next few hours reality was twisted into a feverish cyclone. To the left of me a guy was smoking a joint with enthusiasm. To the right, a man energetically flung glow sticks around his body, creating intricate patterns and through it all the Biscuits played faithfully. But a maelstrom of activity can quickly turn flaccid if one isn’t overly passionate. Although funny, the antics of surrounding the Biscuits’ fans became tiresome after a while. Sure, it was entertaining to watch the lady with the dreads flail around for the first half hour, but it just got repetitive. The Biscuits, true to their trance-fusion style, used a splendid blend of traditional jam band flavor and new age tech. They proved to be a band for the concert, not the recording studio. Their tunes melded seamlessly into one another with a flair most people have never encountered. Anyone with an open mind could have easily enjoyed the music. Unfortunately, spectators’ patience seemed thin with the over-the-top scenesters who eventually became the main event with their strange performances. Hats off to the hardcore fans-they lived up to all expectations-but their mini-recitals drowned out the real stars of the show.