Blakely an All-American honorable mention

The Associated Press named sophomore Marqus Blakely to the honorable mention All-American team, announced by the AP last Monday. Blakely recorded a teamhigh 55 percent in field goals and had 550 points, 320 rebounds and 79 blocks on the season.Blakely averaged a double- double this year with 19 points and 11 rebounds per game. His defense was also stellar as he averaged over two blocks a game and nearly two steals per game. The Cats finished fourth place in America East with a 9-7 conference record, tallying a 16-15 record overall.This season he earned multiple honors, including the Kevin Roberson America East Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year, USBWA All-District I First Team, NABC District I Second Team and Collegehoops.net Mid- Major Honorable Mention All- American.Blakely is the fourth recipient in UVM history to earn the AP honorable mention honors, joining the likes of Mike Evelti (1982), T.J. Sorrentine (2005) and Taylor Coppenrath (2005). The AP named 48 players to the honorable mention All-America team including Blakely, the only representative from UVM.Blakely earned the distinction of being one of two players to secure both their conference player and defensive player of the year honors this season, alongside Rider University’s Jason Thompson of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.Blakely finished his freshman season with an average of 7.6 points per game in the last 23 games, making 16 starts and shooting a team high 61.7 percent from the floor, the second-highest single season total in UVM history.Blakely will look to the 2008-09 season to improve his already gawdy numbers.He will be helped by an improving team that includes newcomer Maurice Joseph, a junior guard who sat out last season after transfering from Michigan State, along with a senior class that includes America-East first-teamer Mike Trimboli and Colin McIntosh.