Board of trustees recap: final approval given on multi-million dollar center, tuition increased

Photo source: UVM

The Tarrant Event Center, named after the project’s leading donors, is set to begin construction in early 2019. Richard and Deb Tarrant donated $15 million to the new multipurpose facility.

Construction on the multi-million dollar Multipurpose Center project could start as soon as this week following final approval from the UVM board of trustees.

The board of trustees meets three times per academic year. This year they met May 17 and May 18 at the University to close out the 2018-2019 academic year and also voted in favor of raising tuition for both in-state and out-of-state students.

The board also gave its go-ahead to start negotiating with the city of Burlington regarding overcharging UVM millions of dollars for water, according to board documents.

Here’s a recap of what was voted on and what was passed:

Construction to start on Multipurpose Center

Construction could start as soon as this week on the $95 million Multipurpose Center. The board gave the final approval to start the work on the center, according to board documents.

A small groundbreaking ceremony was held May 18 after a $4 million gift from Chuck Davis ‘72 and his wife Marna. The donation helped solidify the early fundraising needed for the trustees to give their approval, according to a May 18 UVM press release.

So far, the foundation and UVM Athletics have secured over $30 million in commitments for the project.

Tuition increased

The board approved a plan to raise tuition by 2.86% for in-state students and 2.75% for out-of-state students.

Since 2017, the board has increased tuition for in-state students by a total of 8.36%, or $1,296, not including room and board fees. Additionally, out-of-state students have seen a 7.95%, or an increase of $3,100.

According to data provided in board materials, this year’s tuition increases are on par with institutions UVM compares itself to like Boston College, University of Colorado Boulder and George Washington University.

Vermont had the highest in-state and out-of-state tuition for public colleges and universities on average in the U.S. during the 2018-2019 school year, according to a study done by the College Board.

Administration approved to negotiate with Burlington

UVM will work with the city of Burlington to figure out how much UVM will get back after being overcharged on its water bills for at least 10 years.

The overcharge has cost the University upwards of $2 million in total. Both the city and UVM became aware of the issue after a review of a compound water meter — which measures the water for a large business or a residence hall.

Additionally, the board passed the following:

• The creation of a new minor in computer science education in the College of Education and Social Services.
  • The creation of a Bachelor of Social Work degree in the College of Education and Social Services.
  • Approval of the general fund budget, the budget UVM uses to function daily.