Boston U Blanks Soccer

The Boston University Terriers scored a goal in each half to earn a 2-0 victory over visiting Vermont in the America East opener for the Catamounts. The Terriers were awarded a penalty kick in the opening minutes of action after a Vermont foul in the box. Sophomore Brooke Bingham (Duxbury, Mass.) converted the kick to give Boston University a 1-0 lead just five minutes into the game. The Terriers would take the 1-0 advantage into halftime. BU’s leading scorer Melissa Shulman (Huntington, N.Y.) scored her fifth goal of the year in the 73rd minute. Shulman headed in a serve off of Emily Dionne’s (Rockland, N.Y.) free kick to push Boston university’s lead to 2-0. The Terriers held advantage in shots (16-9) and corner kicks (7-3) over the Catamounts. Senior Katie Duffy (Monroe, N.Y.) was credited with nine saves in the Vermont net. Jessica Clinton (Valley Stream, N.Y.) made five saves to pick up the shutout for BU. Vermont falls to 4-3-2 overall and 0-1-0 in the America East, while Boston U improves to 6-3-2 overall and 2-0-0 in the league. The Catamounts return to action on Sunday, October 5th when they host Albany at 1:00pm. It’s Vermont’s first home game since August 31st. The Catamounts end their seven-game road swing with a record of 2-3-2.-Athletic Communications