Boston U. Tops Women’s Basketball

Shots have been falling perfectly all season long for Vermont’s women’s basket-ball team, but on Wednesday night, the accurate shooting of the Catamounts failed them.Boston University, led by a career high 22 points from Aly Hinton and a stifling 2-3 zone defense, was able to smother Vermont’s offense all night, which made only eight field goals in each half.”We shot poorly which led to a tough day all around,” Coach Sharon Dawley added after the game. “No lineup really got in a flow and it caused us to become tenta-tive.”Vermont started out strong with a quick layup by senior captain Brittney Cross, followed by a three pointer from freshman Courtnay Pilypaitis to grab an early five point lead.It would be another ten minutes before the Cata-mounts registered another field goal.Boston University was able to capitalize on the dry spell and string together a 9-0 run to take the lead. They carried a 30-23 advantage into the half.Vermont came out firing in the second half, and ap-peared to have found their accuracy, which had been missing in the first half.Back-to-back 3-point-ers by Pilypaitis brought the Cats to within two, and freshman May Kotsopoulos tied the game with two of her five points.Hinton and BU answered with a run of their own, capi-talizing on screens that gen-erated multiple easy layups and gave the lead back to the Terriers.Another three by Pi-lypaitis and a jumper by sophomore Sy Janousek brought the Catamounts to within one again.However, BU then rattled off a 13-0 run that put the game out of reach.Vermont was able to close to within seven points, but then was forced to foul, which Boston was able to convert on six of its last eight foul shots to seal the 61-49 win.”Sometimes the ball just doesn’t roll in for you, it is definitely frustrating but we need to keep our focus,” Pilypaitis commented after leading her team with 19 points and nine rebounds.With the win, BU is now 12-11 overall with a 4-6 re-cord in America East, while Vermont drops to 15-7 over-all, 5-4 in the conference. Vermont still holds onto third place in America East trailing only Hartford and Stony Brook.The Catamounts are on the road for their next two games, against league lead-ing Hartford and Maine before returning home on Saturday, Feb. 17th, to host Binghamton at 1 pm