Brazilian Girls: all over the map

Vermont Cynic: People call your sound “international.” Do you guys see it that way?Sabina Sciubba: We see it as a bunch of humans getting together and making music. None of us really have any patriotic nationalistic feelings. I mean, we hall have the attitude but it shouldn’t be a definition and be the only way one can identify oneself. But at the same time the international thing is a very important aspect to the band; the music is very much a merging of many different styles and things that influence us. In the beginning people were telling us ‘you gotta do all the songs in English because this is the United States, people want to hear music in English’ and we just said, this is what we are, this is what came out and we’re not going to edit it or censor it or change it or whatever. Specifically, my reality is that I’ve been to many different countries and speak many different languages, so why would I sing in only one?VC: Your music is all over the place and seems experimental. What’s your writing process like?SS: It varies from song to song. Some songs Didi is playing some kind of beat or loop or groove or harmony and then we jam over that, other songs we all write together. Actually I think that very few writers have complete processes. When you open up and you’re just…experimenting, yeah, is probably a good word.VC: “Tourist trap” is a great because of its disregard for mundane lyrics and sound. Is it based on an experience?SS: Yes it is (laughs). When we went to the Winter Music Conference and we went from one party to the other-they’re all right next to each other, like every f—-ing pizza parlor-at some point we just ended up at a pool and there was a chair in the pool and one of us jumped on it and all the others jumped on top of it and so we started singing ‘piling up at the pool…’ And then we went to Las Vegas to play and I guess that’s where the tourist trap idea came into it because Vegas is like planned out for people to spend money, you know. It’s not like any one threw up in the casino (laughs).VC: Do you consider yourself a studio band or a band you have to go out and see?SS: From what people tell us, we’re better live than on the record. That’s what everyone says. VC: Do you agree with that?SS: Well it’s hard for us to say, you know? The live show is a little funkier. In fact it’s a little more punk. That’s why the second record is a little more punk because people kept telling us that the first record was so nice and clean sounding compared to the live show. VC: Is it a fair assumption to say that Didi is central to you’re overall tone?SS: I think that’s a very good observation (laughs). Didi is probably the initiator a lot of times. The band would sound completely different if you took any of the members out. In many cases Didi is the one who brings the vibe. Didi and I are a couple and Jesse and I are now roommates, that’s pretty much the band dynamic: this kind of two and tow kind of thing. But we decided with the first record that we divide everything equally. We want this band to be together and stay together.