Car hits student on campus

Freshman Charles Reynolds was struck by a car at the intersection of University Heights and Main Street around 7:56 p.m. on April 1.He is currently being treated at Fletcher Allen where he was reported to be in stable condition as of Sunday, April 4, after being in serious condition for three days.  Freshman Rachel Grue, who witnessed the event from her Living/Learning Center suite balcony, said she heard the windshield shatter, saw a person lying on the ground and called the police.”The boy was in the middle of the crosswalk while the light was green but then … it turned yellow — and I guess he wasn’t paying attention — so he started to cross,” freshman Bridget Meehan said.The car was coming up the hill on Main Street when it hit him with the bumper. He smashed onto the windshield and landed about 30 feet away from the crosswalk, Meehan said.”He was just laying on the ground gasping for air and wasn’t able to answer any of the questions from the cops, even when they were asking what his name was,” Grue said.Walter Promnitz, who was driving the blue Volkswagen Golf involved in the accident, got out of his car immediately afterwards, Boulton said.”I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it,” Promnitz said. “I can’t believe this happened.”The police officers on the scene said that the problem was a disregard for pedestrian traffic laws.”The only reason this happened is because of the traffic signals,” a Burlington police officer said. “You should only be crossing when the signal says to, or else it is not safe.”