Catamount’s Battle with BU Ends in a Draw

On a blustery October day, the University of Vermont Men’s soccer team battled to a 1-1 double overtime draw against rival Boston University in a game that could have great conference tournament implications for the 19th ranked Catamounts. As of now, the team has a 10-4-2 record. Thirteen minutes into the contest, midfielder Danny Broughan booted a near miss past the left post. Eight minutes later, BU missed a couple of great opportunities on consecutive corner kicks. The only other goal scoring opportunity of the half belonged to UVM freshman forward Jordan Crasilneck, who charged hard after a ball into the box only to be denied by Terrier keeper Zachary Riffett. The second half began with UVM giving the play immediately to BU, as Crasilneck made a cross that none of his teammates could get a foot on. Patrick Wyld also got in a good shot during the first five minutes of the half, but was denied by Riffett. Just under nine minutes later Crasilneck again put a cross into the box, this time the ball found the back of the net thanks to an own goal by a BU defender. Devin Bitsack was waiting for the pass at the far post and influenced the goal. UVM could not hold the lead and the Terriers tallied the equalizer under fifteen minutes later with another cheap goal. Junior back Zack Kirby gathered a corner kick twenty-five yards out and tried to put it right back in to one of his teammates, but instead he tallied his team’s lone goal of the day as the Catamounts failed to clear the ball out and it trickled across the box and in at the far post. Vermont saw a couple scoring chances in the final minute of regulation, but could not convert them into game winning goals thanks in large part to the stellar defensive play of BU senior back Matt Cross who gave the Cats fits throughout the game. In the first overtime, sophomore transfer Panos Georgiadis, who has replaced injured freshman Lee Stephane Kouadio as the starting forward alongside Crasilneck, had a couple good runs that went for naught. With five minutes left, Patrick Wyld’s one-timer went wide of the net. BU saw one good chance in the second overtime to score when forward Roland Erlichman just missed putting home the game winner. Vermont coach Jesse Cormier was disappointed in his team’s effort saying, “We need to play with more passion and energy to compete at this time of the season. We had a lead in the second half but let them right back in the game. [I] credit Boston University, they are a quality team, for stepping up and taking advantage. For us to be a contending playoff team though, we need a better focus and commitment from everyone.” Men’s soccer has one remaining home game, against league cellar dweller Albany (4-7-2, 1-3-0 in America East Play), Saturday October 29th at 1:00 p.m. The game is the final regular season home game for seniors Matt Chew, Jesse Brady-Searby and Jason Leahy, the team’s tri-captains.