Catamounts struggle at home

It was a difficult weekend at home for the Catamounts, coming away with a 3-3 tie and a 1-0 loss against the River Hawks of UMass- Lowell. “It was a great weekend,” Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said. “Unfortunately, we came out on the wrong side of it.”Sophomores Josh Burrows, Chris Atkinson and Wahs Stacey all scored for Vermont on Friday night for the Catamounts. Burrows took an early interference penalty in the first period but came back into the game to score the first goal, taking a straight shot to the net through several UMass-Lowell players and putting the Cats up 1-0.UMass-Lowell went on to score with just 45 seconds left to go in the first period with a goal from freshman Michael Scheu. The second period of the game started off with three UVM penalties in a row. On their third power play opportunity, UMass-Lowell finally capitalized and took the lead with a goal from sophomore Scott Campbell. “We weren’t great in the second period,” Sneddon said. “You can’t give a team three power plays back to back.”The Catamounts went on to tie up the game in the third period with a goal from Stacey and then took back the lead shortly after with a score from Atkinson. UMass-Lowell took a timeout and pulled goalie Nevin Hamilton with 1:06 left to go in the third. Then, with just 26 seconds left to go, Scheu redirected a Maury Edwards shot past freshman Rob Madore to tie the game for the River Hawks. The game ended in a tie after a five-minute sudden death overtime.Saturday night started off with a scoreless first period despite UVM having two power-play opportunities for holding penalties. The River Hawks were able to get the best of the Cats – who struggled all night on the power play – when UMass-Lowell junior Paul Worthington scored a shorthanded, unassisted goal with 19 seconds remaining in the second period. Despite outshooting the River Hawks 21-13 over the course of the game, UVM was frustrated all night with the UMass-Lowell defense.The score remained tied for the rest of the game, resulting in Vermont’s first home loss since Nov. 14, when they were defeated by Northeastern. A definite problem for Vermont was a lack of production on the power-play. Vermont had five power play opportunities in the game and failed to capitalize on any of them. “You can’t come into these tight hockey games and be a minus one on the power play,” Sneddon said.” I thought their kill outworked our power play.”Vermont will travel to Maine next weekend for another weekend of Hockey East action against the University of Maine Black Bears, before returning home for their final regular season series of the year against UNH.