Cats Claw Blackbears, 65-44

Freshmen Tiffany Spinka and Lani Boardman stepped up in women’s basketball action to help UVM top the University of Maine Blackbears 65-44 Saturday. Spinka grabbed seven rebounds and added seven points to the Cats’ victory. Boardman scored nine points and had two blocks and two steals. In 29 minutes of play, Spinka came off the bench to do all the little things right to back her team. “She does all the dirty work,” commented Coach Keith Cieplicki. Senior Libby Smith added: “[Spinka] works hard every day, and she makes us all better because of it. She worked hard on every play.” Spinka was able to prove to the fans at Patrick Gym exactly what she is capable of. “I had an opportunity to work harder, I did whatever I could to help my team,” she said. The victory can also be attributed to the leadership of upperclassmen Dawn Cressman and Smith. “The final score shows how hard we’ve been working. Everything just came together today and paid off,” said Smith, who pitched in 10 points in her 112th consecutive start for UVM. “That’s what it’s about when you put on a Vermont uniform, it’s about playing with each other, playing for our state and our university,” she added. Freshman Katie McNamara and Sophomore Aaron Yantzi scored 10 and 13 points, respectively. Yantzi leads the team in scoring with 16.3 ppg in America East games. Playing without Junior Morgan Hall (out with a minor knee injury), who recently became the 11th Catamount to score 1000 points, the team came together to secure its 8th consecutive win. “I like the energy, I like the effort, I like the will. Those are the things that win ball games,” said Cieplicki. “It’s a sweet victory,” concluded Smith. Coach Cieplicki is just one win away from a career 100. The women next play at home today at 7:00 p.m., when they host Binghamton University.