Cats down Stony Brook

On a windy Wednesday afternoon the University of Vermont Catamounts defeated America East Conference rival Stony Brook 1-0. “It was our best performance of the season, and we did a lot of good things, especially the little things it takes to win,” coach Jesse Cormier said. Vermont turned on the pressure early and often, using good ball movement along with good support from the midfield to control the game. The Catamounts outshot the Seawolves 18-6 in the contest. Though only once did the ball manage to find its way to the back of the net, numerous opportunities presented themselves in the first half. Sophomore Jordan Crasilneck crossed the ball in front of the net where freshman Nick Mead’s diving header went just wide of the far post. With about 11 minutes remaining in the first half senior captain Corey Bronner’s free kick got through traffic but was punched away at the last second by the Stony Brook goalkeeper, ending the first half at a scoreless tie. After halftime Vermont put together their finest half of soccer this season, out-shooting Stony Brook 14-2 and earning 9 corner kicks in the half. “When you perform like one group, you get it together and the shots and chances pile up,” Cormier said. Vermont was able to cash in one of those chances at the 49:16 mark of the contest. Sophomore Connor Tobin took a free kick from 35 yards out and sent a beautiful ball right in front of the goal. Streaking in to volley the ball into the lower right corner was freshman Marty Galvin. Galvin’s second goal of the season gave the Catamounts a 1-0 lead. Thanks to strong defensive play from the back line and swarming pressure from the forwards and midfielders the one goal was all UVM would need. Junior goalkeeper Roger Scully posted his fourth shutout of the season. The Catamounts kept up the intensity and threatened several other times in the half. Junior Loren Hill let go a blast from outside the box that nearly found the back of the goal, but Stony Brook’s E.J. Xikis was able make the save at the last second. Freshman Rem Kielman nearly headed in a corner kick but his attempt floated just over the bar. “We kept our discipline and kept up the pressure all game,” junior captain Panos Georgiadis said. “We took it to them in the second half, and did not sit on the lead.” Georgiadis almost added a goal of his own, but his shot, bending towards the upper right corner, was tipped away from the goal. In the 82nd minute Panos sent a nice ball into the center of the box where freshman T.J. Gore’s header hit the crossbar and miraculously was kept out of the net. “Getting the first point is a great feeling and it was a big win for us,” Tobin, whose assist was his first career point, said after the game. “[Stony Brook] gives us a good game every time.” With the win the Catamounts improved their overall record to 5-4-2 and stand 2-0-0 in the America East Conference, putting them in a three-way tie atop the conference. The loss drops the defending conference champion Seawolves to 3-8-0 (0-1-0) on the season. UVM hits the road for its next two conference games with UMBC and Albany, before returning home on Saturday Oct. 7 to host Hartford. The game will take place at 1:00 at Centennial Field.