Cats Post Best Finish In a Decade At New Englands

BREWSTER, Mass. – The University of Vermont golf team posted its best performance in more than a decade at the New England Intercollegiate Golf Association (NEIGA) Championship Tuesday, finishing in a tie for 12th among 45 schools. The Catamounts, coached by Mike Gilligan, were 20th after the first day with 330 total strokes, but Vermont stormed ahead of eight other teams with a 325 on Tuesday at the Captains Club on Cape Cod. Rhode Island won the event with 610 total strokes, while Central Connecticut was second with 615. Vermont finished with 656. David Grossman (Linwood, N.J.) was Vermont’s top golfer, finished in a tie for 31st with an 82-77-159. Senior Tim Morris (Newbury, Vt.) tied for 58th (84-80-164) while Tim Rawding (Verona, N.J.) tied for 85th (82-86-168). Sophomore Tom Rogers (Acton, Mass.), the defending NEIGA individual champion, tied for 94th with an 87-82-169, and Alex Squire (Westport, Mass.) tied for 131st with an 83-91-174. Two hundred and eighteen golfers participated in the two-day tournament. Vermont will play in the Toski Invitational in Amherst, Mass. in the final match of the fall season. The Toski was originally scheduled for late September but was postponed due to rain.-Athletic Communications