Central Campus construction completion date pushed

First-year students trying to get from Central Campus dorms to Williams, Votey or Kalkin halls will have to take the long route for another month. Two simultaneous construction projects will continue on longer than expected, according to an e-mail from David Blatchly, an administrative facilities professional at the Physical Plant Department of UVM and project engineer for the two projects. “It’s a pain in the ass, really,” senior Andy Schlag said. “I have to walk all the way around campus to get home instead of cutting through it. I have classes in Lafayette and Old Mill, and I live past Campus Kitchen, so I have to come and walk up around campus to go home.” The Kalkin/Votey Plaza Reconstruction and North Campus Steam and CHW Distribution projects started as early as May 24 and will not be completed until the end of September and October, respectively. They aim to lay new high-pressure water lines and waterproof Kalkin and Votey halls. “The project consists of the installation of 0.6 miles of new underground steam and chilled water piping,” Blatchly said in an e-mail. “The steam is used for winter heating, domestic hot water needs and at Billings for food preparation,” Blatchly said. “The new chilled water lines added to the system will deliver chilled water from the recently completed Central Chilled Water Plant and will be used for air conditioning UVM facilities in the future.” The old piping was installed in 1974 and had numerous problems in recent years, he said. Some students’ frustration is growing due to the delay. “I guess it’s for a good cause, I just heard it was supposed to be done a while ago and it keeps getting pushed back,” first year Conner McWilliams said. “It kills the mountain air; there’s dirt everywhere. It just feels like a long thing that just never gets done. I have to walk all the way around. It’s not awful, I understand, it’s just a buzzkill, aesthetically, over there.” On top of the dust and construction equipment proving to be an eyesore for some students, the effects can be heard in the classroom as well. “It’s hard when there’s a lecture because you can’t hear what the professor is saying,” sophomore Clara Cox said. The main project is projected to be completed on Sept. 30, while minor construction could continue through Oct. 30.