Classes offered for adults 50 and older

The majority of students fall between the ages of 18 and 23 — but those 50 and older might just find their own niche on campus. This semester, the Osher Life Long Institute (OLLI) will open registration for classes on UVM’s campus designed specifically for adults over 50, according to a news release. “The goal of OLLI at UVM is to provide lifelong learning opportunities while being a self-sustaining organization, advised by OLLI members and supported through annual membership and course fees,” the news release stated. OLLI, a volunteer-run organization, can be found on 120 campuses across the nation and is funded by The Bernard Osher Foundation of San Francisco. Instructors will be UVM retired faculty, current faculty, administrators and community members. “By offering diverse, fun and intellectually stimulating courses and activities at very affordable rates, members have the opportunity to learn within a community of peers in an interactive and casual setting,” the news release stated. Beginning the week of Sept. 25, OLLI will offer more than 20 courses including: Wild Mushrooms in the Field and in the Kitchen; Button Up Your Overcoat:  Energy Efficiency; Español Para Todos; and Find Meaning, Artistry and Empathy in Giving Back to Your Community. Membership is $50 for one year, and courses are priced based on length and format. Courses are open to all but targeted at the 50 plus audience, according to the news release. The program will also offer special events and travel to Key West, Fla. and Oaxaca, Mexico. For more information and to register for OLLI courses, please visit the website at www.learn.uvm.edu or call an OLLI Representative at 802-656-2085, ext. 4.