Colchester Ave. assailant apprehended

Police recently apprehended the assailant of Sept. 9’s attempted abduction of a 24-year-old woman on Colchester Ave. Harold Porter, a 45-year-old resident of Swanton with a history of sexual crimes, was caught by local authorities thanks to footage captured by a CCTA bus security tape and confirmed identification by a car dealer who sold Porter his vehicle. Burlington Police Department Lieutenant Art Cyr said that Porter now faces multiple charges including attempted kidnapping, second-degree unlawful restraint and aggravated assault, according to a recent announcement on the WCAX website. Cyr said that his advice to Burlington residents is to make use of local transportation services when heading home in the evening and also, a tried and true safety tip, to use the buddy system. “I’ll say this until the day I retire: Burlington is a safe place but, like all cities, we have issues,” Cyr said. “It makes me crazy when I see young girls walking back from the downtown scene at night — never, never walk alone.” According to the WPTZ News website, Porter is being held without bail on violation of probation charges and is also being held on $50,000 bail on charges related to the incident in Burlington.