Comparing dealers in U.S. and Canada

?I love UVM for the green,? a girl says in the ?I?m Shmacked The Movie: University of Vermont- 4/20 Weekend? YouTube video that was filmed throughout campus on 420 last year.Although students have shown affection toward what they think are ?weed friendly? vibes at UVM, Burlington may not be as friendly as they thought in comparison to its neighbor Canada.Tom*, a student at McGill University in Montreal, said he thinks that Burlington?s laws on criminalization are much stricter than in Canada.The relationship between people involved in smoking and/or dealing marijuana and the law enforcement in Canada is much different than in Burlington, he said. ?In the U.S. there’s the fear that if the police bust a party they’re bound to find pot and pot supplies,? Tom said. ?They’ve seen my bongs before, but they just tell you they could take them if they want to but they aren’t there for that.?In his opinion, most Canadian police forces tend to give students caught with marijuana ?a slap on the wrist,? especially in Montreal where there are more major drug issues and organized crime to combat, he said. Pat*, a drug dealer in Burlington, described the differences of police in the U.S. to police in countries bordering the U.S. in regards to reactions to drug distribution. ?When the cops bust people here they take everything,? he said. ?They take your money, they?ll break all your glass. The cops are dirty.?But there may be more to the penalties of marijuana distribution than the police?s reinforcement of laws. The outlook on marijuana legalization, decriminalization and use in general seems to be quite different in the U.S. than surrounding countries.The Liberal Party in Canada voted to make marijuana legalization a part of its platform at its biennial convention last year, as well as stated its desire to lower the price of marijuana, according to an article in the Huffington Post Canada. The Vermont House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday in favor of decriminalization, a step below legalization.First-year Rachel Rhodes said she agrees the difference in marijuana use and distribution across the border depends on attitudes toward the drug.?I think people care more about drug use in the U.S. than in Canada because people here try to capitalize off of it while people in Canada are more accepting of it,? Rhodes said.On the issue of selling, Tom?s prices in Montreal reflect the norm, he said, $30 for an eighth of marijuana and $200 for an ounce. Tom said he thinks the price of marijuana is higher in the U.S. because of the risk involved in selling.?There’s more open space in Canada for people to smoke, the country is very wide and there’s a lot of land mass so getting caught isn’t as much of a concern,? he said. Pat agrees that the cost of marijuana is more expensive on this side of the border at around $50 an eighth and $250-$300 an ounce, but disagrees on why. ?Pot is cheaper in Canada because Canadians are dumb and don?t know what they are doing,? he said. ?Also a ton of bud is grown up there especially in British Columbia.?But according to www.thepriceofweed.com, an anonymous source for analyzing the global price index of marijuana, the cost of marijuana is related to the quality. Both Tom and Pat said they have never been caught nor had any issues with the police since they began selling in Burlington and Montreal.?I think [the consequences] all depends on how much you are selling and how much you have on you at the time that you get busted,? Pat said. ?An ounce isn?t anything major but over an ounce or two is where it gets more intense.?