Correction to “Don’ Wear Your “Homeless” Outfit to UVM”

Hi,My wife found some mistakes that my dyslexia failed to pick up.Here is the correct version. Thanks.Colin McNaull48 Southwind RoadHinesburg, Vermont 05461 USA Tel: 802-482-3347 Email: [email protected] [email protected]@uvm.edu The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. – Joseph Joubert, essayist (1754-1824)EditorThe CynicUniversity of VermontBurlington, Vermont 05401Dear Sir:Re: Don’t Wear Your “Homeless” Outfit to UVMDuring Tuesday’s, March 8, 2005 snowstorm I had joked with my wife that since the weather was so bad I would wear my “homeless” outfit to UVM for my meetings and subsequent class in the afternoon. Getting to a serviceable sidewalk from the Graduate School parking lot is a challenge under ideal conditions but this Tuesday was especially challenging because of the snow on ice, snow banks, falling snow, etc. At the north side of the intersection of Carrigan Drive and the one way street that leads to the parking lot, I slipped and fell hard with my feet on the wet blacktop of the roadway. As I lay there in the snow with my feet extending into the traffic pattern trying to gather my thoughts and assessing the damage from the fall, I expected that the people walking on the sidewalk on Carrigan Drive would come to my assistance to help me get up. If not them, surely one of the drivers who were passing by to avoid my feet would stop. When this did not happen I thought that the bus driver would be civic minded enough to stop. I started to be concerned when the truck driver, who did stop for the red light, moved as did the other cars kept passing me. I realized that I was entirely on my own and got my legs out of the roadway.The way things were going I wanted to make sure that I would not be in the way of any disinterested snow plow that might have scooped me up for retrieval during the spring thaw.Unbeknownst to me at this time, Brittany Philbin’06 had spotted my distress and had gone to get help for me from Ben Burns at the parking office.I was finally able to get up, get the snow off and get out of traffic as I resumed my trek towards campus. Brittany and Ben then showed up and helped me the Parking Office for warmth and first aid.It was nice to learn that there are Good Samaritans out there!The moral of the story is that you should wear your best clothes during the worst snowstorms and weather. You might be able to trigger the “Good Samaritan” impulse in more people.Sincerely,Colin McNaullGraduate Student