Deep Political Thoughts

Heteronormativity is the dominant belief system of modern American society. It is rooted in traditional paradigms of social and religious thought and is an integral part of patriarchic society, for it maintains that a gender binary of man and woman is fundamental to civilization, and that the proper relations between all citizens should be defined in hetero-monogamous terms. From heteronormativity comes concepts of male privilege and dominance. In a heteronormative world there are only monogamous relationships, and the male is the figurehead of the relationship, making decisions for both people and domesticating the woman to a life of subservience. The construction of heteronormative gender binaries creates static concepts of gender identity that keep all women and men from publicly transcending their imposed identity. To publicly denounce the precedent of heterosexuality and male privilege is to revolt against the dominant culture. Those who do revolt risk public persecution, belittlement, violence and even death. Heteronormativity permeates into every aspect of culture, for it is supported by religions, by politicians, laws, the availability of tax incentives, insurance policies, the media, fashion, and tradition. Heteronormative ideas are reinforced through our discourse and the use of words like “that’s so broke back,” for these words sensitize us to social beliefs and desensitize us to the bigotry and intolerance that we create. We thus uphold a hateful reality through the words that we use. The word “faggot” denotes perhaps the best example of hate engendered into our lives. A faggot is defined as a bundle of sticks that is bound together. These bundles were once used to burn queer men at the stake. The root of the modern meaning of the word faggot – a homosexual man – is found in painful murder. To rupture heteronormative thought we must reconceptualize and change the rhetoric that use. We must abnegate our engrained cultures of hate, and we must become more than simply tolerant of differences. We must recognize the intersection of all life at a point of equality