Defending hockey champs hold off No. 11 Vermont

In a rematch of last season’s Hockey East championship game, the No.11 University of Vermont men’s hockey team fell to No 3 Boston College 3-2. Cats’ junior Brian Roloff scored with just 49 seconds remaining to cut the Eagles lead to 3-2. However, BC goaltender John Muse (23 saves) stood tallest, denying Vermont a shot at the equalizer in front of 5,675 at Kelley Rink. The loss drops the Cats to 2-1-1 (0-1-0 HEA) while the Eagles climb to 3-1-0 (1-1-0 HEA). “There’s a lesson to be learned in this game in a tough loss,” Cats head coach Kevin Sneddon said. “I thought we played a great 20 minutes and that was the third period. “I really thought we did some great things, had some great scoring chances,” Sneddon said. “But you can’t play a team as good as Boston College for 20 minutes.”After outshooting Vermont 24-12 in the first two periods, BC took a 2-0 into the second intermission. Eagles’ Paul Carey and Ben Smith both scored on the power play. The Cats clawed back to cut the deficit to 2-1 on the power play at 15:05 of the third period. Junior Colin Vock scored his first goal of the season off a feed from sophomore Kyle Medvec. The assist extended Medvec’s career-best scoring streak to three games. BC extended the lead to 3-1 when Andrew Orpik scored with just 3:35 remaining. Vermont would pull junior goaltender Mike Spillane (26 saves) and cut the lead to 3-2 on Roloff’s tally with just 49 seconds left.”I thought we played with a great sense of urgency when we were down 2-0 and down 3-1,” Sneddon said. “But we need to play with that sense of urgency from the start. We got better in the third period but it was too late.”The Cats return to action on Nov. 1 at 7:30 PM when they host No. 6 Boston University at Gutterson Fieldhouse. While tickets for the game will be available for students with a valid UVM ID at the ticket office at Patrick Gym, the game will also be broadcast on CN8, channel 18 on Comcast in the Burlington area.