Doug Racine and Peter Shumlin Look for Clean Sweep

Nov. 5 will be an important day in the VT politics, as the Democratic party will attempt to sweep the executive board in the state house, and take control of the state House of Representatives and the Senate.

Current Lieutenant Governor and Gubernatorial candidate Doug Racine and Lieutenant Governor candidate Peter Shumlin are trying to make that happen, running against opponents in both the Republican party (Jim Douglas for Governor and Brian Dubie for Lt. Governor) and the Progressive (Anthony Pollina for Lt. Governor) and Independent (Con Hogan for Governor) parties.

While all candidates are focused on the whole state, they pay particular to the needs and concerns of UVM students.

“I think the economy is the biggest concern,” said Racine. “The kind of jobs that will be available after college. We’re in a recession, the whole nation, and it will be a challenge for the government leaders to improve the economy for the state.

“The state is the attention of possible high-tech industries, including renewable energy. Vermont is attractive for those sorts of businesses.”

For Shumlin, the focus lies on economy, and protecting a woman’s right to choose.

“UVM students are different than the other Vermonters,” said Shumlin. “They need to be able to earn a high enough wage to earn a living here after graduation. Doug and I have been meeting payroll since after we graduated college.

“You won’t find a team more committed to developing the economy.”

Another issue concerning Shumlin is a woman’s right to choose.

“I’m pro-choice, and I won’t compromise on that,” said Shumlin. “That’s a decision between a woman and her physician. I’ve worked to help kill an anti-abortion law here.

“We don’t want to get rid of basic rights. It’s not consistent with V.T. values.”

An issue that has been raised in the past, and is still current in this election, is the possibility that would limit the voting rights of students, mainly that out-of-state students wouldn’t be granted the right to vote any longer.

“The Republicans don’t want UVM to vote,” said Racine. “It’s real simple. I’m strongly opposed to this sort of bill. Students here, this is their community, and they should have the same rights as anyone else.”

Shumlin agrees.

“We’re supporters of whichever candidate one votes for,” said Shumlin.

“Democracy needs to include UVM students.

“The Republicans are basically saying that they don’t think that your vote counts.”

Another issue that both candidates are concerned with is alcohol and drug abuse.

“It’s a societal problem,” said Racine. “The first serious problem that happens during the teen years is alcohol, and education will be important in helping young people. It can lead to addiction. We need good education and tough law enforcement.

“Binge drinking destroys a lot of lives.”

Shumlin sees a drug problem growing in the state as well.

“This is a real problem,” said Shumlin. “One in seven males between the ages of 18-21 are under the supervision of the department of corrections. There is a real heroin denial in the state, and it needs to be stopped. Heroin is a disease.”

Besides their politics, Racine and Shumlin want to students to remember other things about them when they go to the booths as well.

“Although I’m 49, I feel it’s still the young person inside,” said Racine. “I still have the ideals I did when I was in school, a sense of optimism. I still like to have fun- I like to hike, ski, and bike.

“The future can only get better if we work with each other as a community, and we will improve.”

Shumlin wants voters to remember his own determination in getting to this position in the first place.

“I have dyslexia, and I had to deal with learning differently,” said Shumlin. “I’ve been fighting hard, and I’m driven and will give a lot back to Vermont.

“I tell like it is, I’m pretty blunt, and I’ll get the job done well.”