Environmental program founder dies

Carl Reidel, professor and founder of the environmental program at UVM, died Nov. 3 of pancreatic cancer.   He was diagnosed with the disease three weeks before his death.   Reidel founded the environmental program in 1972 with Tom Hudspeth, a professor of environmental studies and natural resources. Hudspeth was the assistant director to the program for the first 12 years.   After its founding, the environmental program became a popular area of study for students and continues to be a reason why many students decide to attend the University, Huspeth said to the Burlington Free Press.   Reidel earned a degree in forestry and wildlife science from the University of Minnesota. He then received his master’s degree from Harvard University in 1964 and went back to Minnesota in order to earn his Ph.D, according to the UVM website.   He then worked at Williams College until invited by UVM to lead the newly formed environmental program.   He was married twice and had three children with his first wife. He died at the farmstead he and his second wife, Jean Richardson, shared in North Ferrisburgh.   His son Jon Reidel praised his father’s passion for both the environment and his own life, a University Communications article stated.   “He loved the environmental movement, but knew the way to do it was through policy changes,” he said. “He was optimistic and upbeat until the very end.”