Feminist responce to “Get laid”

On Wednesday evening, Sept. 13, feminists, of both genders,from Feminist Leader’s and Men Advocating Change met todiscuss Ms. Frank’s article in the Cynic entitled “Get Laid.”The article presented us with a wonderful opportunity toexplore conceptions of female and male sexuality in a campusenvironment, and how alcohol and other factors affect sexualrelationships. Accompanying the article was a cartoon. The cartoon clearlymade light of predatory fraternity behavior, absolutely dehumanizing women and the Greek system.The cartoon represents women as animals, a common practice in our culture (the word “chick,” anyone? Ninth paragraph),presenting them as prey to the ever-present hunter.Although the cartoon was offensive, most of the members inthe discussion agreed that it had very little to do with the messages presented in the article.Alcohol is the number one date-rape drug in America, and inthe state of Vermont it is illegal to have sex under the influence of alcohol, because inebriation denies the possibility of consent.The article begins, “Fortunately, it only takes about three minutes and a foamy cup of PRB to realize that everyone is ashorny as you.”This presents the premise of the article that awkward hook-upsare not only positive, but sexually empower women. Such encounters as these described in the article are illegal.Under the circumstances Ms. Frank has laid out for us, participants face the risk of becoming a victim to sexual violence. All of this, taking place on a campus that saw an astronomical increase in sexual violence in the last year.Ms. Frank sets forth to disprove a stereotype that women donot actually want or enjoy, sex. Very few of the participants in the meeting felt that this stereotype actually exists and/or harms women.Ms. Frank’s statement, “Chicks have sexual cravings, too,” implores men to realize “that women like sex too.” If, indeed, any of her female (as opposed to the chick) readers doubt this assertion, Ms. Frank then challenges them to”[buy] a vibrator, or [try] things out manually.” Any woman who might disagree,or feel uncomfortable, with Ms. Frank’s advocacy, on her behalf, is encouraged to masturbate, because she simply does not know her body.Understandably, many participants in the discussion wereoffended by this representation of female sexuality.The article concludes with the assurance that, “All in all, it iscompletely worth it because you can learn what you really wantand what will make you happy.”Unfortunately, “it,” is in reference to the ideas set forth in therest of the article. Participants in the meeting had doubts as to the probable success of someone experimenting in the way Ms.Frank suggests.Indeed, it is highly likely that such experimentations could leadto dangerous situations.