Field hockey shuts out Hofstra

One half was all that was needed for the UVM field hockey team in their decisive 3-0 victory against Hofstra on Friday. Sophomore Joanna Berger led the team, scoring both a goal and an assist. Junior Megan Maynard and senior Wendy Carbone both scored goals while senior Kim Striegler notched an assist. Maynard started the scoring for Vermont by netting a deflection off of a shot from Berger. After a goal by Carbone made the score 2-0, a penalty by Hofstra was followed by a penalty-shot goal by Berger, capping the scoring at 3-0.All of the goals were scored in the first half of the game, with Vermont out-shooing Hofstra 16-5 and 22-14 for the game.The Lady Cat’s goalkeeper, junior Kristen Heavens, had a total of nine saves in the game while Hofstra’s two goalkeepers had a combined total of five.”We have been working on possessing the ball for long periods of time”, Vermont head coach NIcki Houghton said about what the team has been working on to improve and become better overall.The victory lifted the Lady Cats (9-8 overall, 1-3 in America East) to 5-0 in games at Moulton Winder Field home this season, though the streak would be bro?ken up after a 2-1 loss against Maine on Sunday.UVM will face off against Boston University on Nov. 1 for their last home game of the regular season. “We have a tremendous amount of ability”, coach Hough?ton said. “They’re totally prepared”. “It’s just about putting in the work”.