Fire sparks in Rowell

Burlington firefighters estimate $500 in damage after a fire torched a room in the Rowell Building on July 14. The fire occurred when water used to remove asbestos seeped into an electrical outlet, a news release from the Burlington Fire Department said. Plastic sheets and duct tape, which were used as a temporary wall covering during the asbestos removal, were ignited in the room, and the building was evacuated briefly. Firefighters responded immediately after the smoke detectors activated the building’s fire alarm system and extinguished the fire, the news release said. Classes resumed in the building the following morning.