First to forth!

The Catamount field hockey team fell to the University of Albany Great Danes 3-2 in overtime on Saturday at Moulton Winder Field in their last conference game of the season. Coming into the game the Cats had a chance to capture the top seed in the America East tournament, which starts on Friday. But the loss coupled with a Boston University victory over Maine relegated Vermont to the fourth seed. Albany’s Teska Koch scored her second goal of the game off of a rebound seven minutes into overtime when the ball bounced off UVM’s red-shirt freshman goalkeeper Kristin Heavens’ pads. After two saved shots, Heavens deflected the ball to Koch and was out of position for a third save. Albany came out strong in the game, recording a long hit as well as a corner within the first two minutes of play. The Cats picked up their game and came back, scoring the first goal of the game in the 25th minute of play when sophomore Maegan Luce crossed the ball to junior Kelly McClintock, who put it past the Albany goalkeeper Ashley Ross. The goal was McClintock’s 10th of the season. “Our whole strategy was to stay strong on the ball,” Luce said. “We had to play together through the aggressive and rough play moving the ball stick to stick.” Vermont led Albany 1-0 going into the second half of play but in the 38th minute Koch recorded her first goal off a rebound. Albany continued to dominate through much of the second half but Luce was able to sneak the ball past Ross after receiving a pass from junior Danielle Collins, giving Vermont the lead again at the 57-minute mark. Luce’s goal was her 15th of the season, which is second on the team behind Collins. “It was a great pass,” Luce said. “[Collins] was able to get the goalie out and then sent the ball to me; I spun, shot, and scored. It was a great play.” The Cats kept pressuring Albany but the Danes tied up the score and sent the game into overtime when Michele Polizois tipped the ball in off a corner. The assists went to Arlette Westdorp and Meg Rinier. In overtime, Vermont came out strong but Albany got through the Cats defense to record the game winner and lock up the second seed in the America East Conference tournament. Albany played strong through the entire game, outshooting the Cats 18 to 11 and gaining 11 penalty corners compared to UVM’s five. The conference tournament will be hosted by top seed Boston University for the third season in a row. BU secured the championship with a 3-0 victory over Maine. BU will face the Cats on Nov. 3 at 12 p.m. in the first and fourth seed game, while #2 Albany will play #3 Maine. Despite the loss to Albany, the girls said they still have a chance to make up for the loss in the tournament. Head coach Nicki Houghton refused comment on the game or next week’s contest.