Fix sex mistakes over the counter

On August 24 the Food and Drug Administration approved the over-the-counter sales of the contraceptive pill Plan B to anyone over the age of 18. Formerly only available by prescription, the FDA approval is expected to reduce unintended pregnancies, as well as the almost one million abortions that are performed every year in the United States. This is a breakthrough for women’s health, as nearly half of all pregnancies in the U.S. are unplanned. Some confusion exists between the oral contraceptive Plan B, and RU-486, the abortion drug. Plan B comes in the form of two pills, which must be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, and the second pill must be taken 12 hours later. Just like other contraceptive pills, Plan B prevents ovulation or fertilization. It does not miscarry an already established pregnancy, the way RU-486 does. Due to the confusion between the actions of the two pills, many people do not view Plan B as an acceptable form of a contraceptive. Barr Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturers of Plan B, have asserted that proof of age will be needed in order to purchase the pills, and it will only be available in pharmacies and health clinics. Men may also purchase Plan B, and anyone under the age of 18 will need to present a prescription. Because unprotected sex in the United States is very common, making Plan B available as an over-the-counter drug is going to have a huge impact on reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies. Women over the age of 18 will freely be able purchase the drug, and not have to worry about the pressure a doctor or physician may put on them for not being safe, or even having to tell anyone. These women will also not be forced to make a decision about abortion, or deal with the affects of that decision for the rest of their lives. This does not mean all women should not practice safe, protected sex. Plan B should only be used in emergency situations, such as a condom breaking or slipping off, or any sex that was non-consensual. Plan B is not effective if it is not used correctly, and within the first 72 hours of unprotected sex. Women need to be able to have the choice of what they want to do concerning their body and their lives.Over-the-counter Plan B provides privacy, as well as freedom