Fresh Faces in the UVM Dugout

Losing several players from last year’s 21-29 campaign, the baseball team is bringing in a diverse group of players to this year’s club. Highlighted by transfers, promising freshman and two key veteran players who sat out last season, the Cats are ranked third in America East in Baseball America’s pre-season poll.Coach Bill Currier, in his 21st sea?son leading the Catamounts, said he’s looking to start freshmen at both shortstop and centerfield, in Matt Duffy (SS) and Mark Micowski (CF), but has high hopes for the return of junior pitcher Joe Serafin and senior infielder/outfielder Miguel Magrass.Currier said he is looking to Serafin, who comes off of a redshirt season, to be the team’s number one starter. Serafin brings an 11-5 record and big-game experience into his third sea?son. Magrass’ return to the lineup brings back one of the conference’s best bats — Magrass was a freshman all-American in 2004, when he set the UVM re?cord for RBIs with 52.Other important players this year will be senior captain Kyle Massie (3B), senior Kyle Henry (1B/P), sophomore transfer Justin Milo — who is currently sitting out a year before joining the hockey team as well — and freshman Jason Leclerc, who will probably see time at catcher, Currier said.The season starts Feb. 29 at New Orleans; the Cats first taste of conference action will come April 4 at UMBC.