Friends of Indian Music and Dance

Friends of Indian Music and Dance is hosting a dance-drama in the Odissi style on Saturday, October 25, at 7:00 PM in the Music Dept. Recital Hall. The event is called Shatarupa – Splendorous Myths and Divinities of India. Friends of Indian Music and Dance, formed in the fall of 1992, is dedicated to the promotion and integration of Indian performing arts into the cultural life of Burlington and Vermont such that they will become institutionalized and self-sustaining through the patronage of the audience. The performing art forms of the Indian sub-continent, encompassing diverse cultures, represent many of the oldest and deepest artistic traditions in the world. FIMD’s goal is to bring some of the finest, internationally acclaimed artists, including some who have established themselves as teachers and performers in this country, as well as younger artists of outstanding caliber. FIMD is a non-profit membership organization affiliated with the University of Vermont. It is run by a group of people from the Burlington community and UVM faculty and staff who have contributed their time and energies toward the successful growth of the organization. Our strength, however, is the support of the contributing members. Contributions are tax-deductible and members receive discounts at concerts. In order to promote awareness of this rich heritage to the students in Burlington area, FIMD arranges lecture/demonstrations and offers discounted tickets to students at the concerts. Thanks to our patrons, we have organized eleven successful seasons so far. Our current season opened with a spectacular performance, Remember Shakti featuring John McLaughlin and Zakir Hussain, on October 9, 2003, at the Flynn Center. We hope to see you and your friends at Shatarupa on Saturday.- Press Release