Get Newman’s own cash

Paul Newman has more in common with the University than students might think.   The late actor’s food company and not-for-profit corporation, the Newman’s Own Foundation, is in its third year of donating money to student groups that are dedicated to servicing the community.   The project, known as the Campus Community Service Challenge, offers nine grants ranging from $5,000 to $25,000 to any student group that has shown commitment to community service, said Mae Stephenson, graduate assistant for the Service, Leadership and Civic Engagement program.   “The Newman’s Own Campus Community Service Challenge is an incredible opportunity for students to get the funds they need to do service work in our communities, and UVM students do a lot of service,” Stephenson said.   Stephenson said that the diverse student groups that have already applied include buddy programs, serving meals at the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf and helping people with disabilities learn how to ski.   “I’ve already had about a dozen student organizations request an application with a broad range of groups presented, from academically focused clubs to those with service as their core mission,” she said.   UVM competes against the SUNY at Albany, Binghamton, Boston University, UMBC, UNH and Stony Brook for the grants, the Newman’s Own website stated.   In the past, some UVM clubs have won the top prize as well as finalist awards, according to a University Communications article.   Two years ago, UVM’s Campus Kitchens Project won $25,000 to support the Chittenden County Food Shelf, where they serve meals every Sunday. Last year, Alternative Spring Break (ASB) won a $5,000 prize as a finalist, the article stated.   Alison Mercier, the director for ASB, told the foundation’s website that the Challenge had been a key part of the group’s success in 2011.   “With their support, we were able to send 14 trips with 140 students around the United States to complete over 5,000 hours of service,” she said.                             Although the Newman’s Own Foundation supports several different types of groups, the foundation does have certain guidelines.               The foundation will not give grants to any groups that promote business, specific religious beliefs or support political organizations,” the website stated.               To apply, student groups must email Stephenson at [email protected] and request an application by Jan. 19.