Getting to know the mayoral candidates

Bob kissProgressiveBefore being elected mayor in 2006, Kiss served three terms in the Vermont Statehouse from Chittenden District 3-4. Kiss has also worked for The Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity, Committee on Temporary Shelter (COTS) and served on the Board of Commissioners for the Burlington Housing Authority.”I think there is a way for us to build a relationship that [UVM] does make a commitment to a finite number of students to live in Burlington, but if it grows that [UVM] actually adds housing capacity on campus to meet those needs.”Andy MontrollDemocratMontroll, a lawyer, has 15 years experience on the Burlington City Council and was elected president of the Council four times. Montroll is the president of the board of trustees for Channel 17 and serves on the Finance Board and the Chittenden County Metropolitan Planning Organization.”If we could encourage the University to have more on-campus housing that people would actually like to live in, that will encourage people onto campus – that could really help free up the other housing in some of the neighborhoods.”Dan SmithIndependentSmith is a lawyer with a background in economic development. He is currently the vice president of the Greater Burlington Industrial Corporation. Smith is chair of the Mobius Mentoring Board of Directors and a member of the Church Street Marketplace Commission and the Business Education Alliance.”We want to encourage people to bring students back onto campus – but no, we don’t want to do it by having a hard and fast rule that says 75 percent of all students have to be back on campus.”Kurt WrightRepublicanWright has served on the Burlington City Council for eight non-consecutive years and is the current council president. Wright has been a Vermont state legislator since 2001 and is a member on the Judicial Nominating Board and the Burlington Board of Finance.”We need to be making sure that we are bringing more businesses here, if it means tax incentives or whatever it does, we have to continue to urge and bring businesses back to this city.”