Greeks raise $3,000 in a day

Who knew a porch swing could help raise over $3,000?Shouting Greek life members, buckets of money and a swing joined the normal weekend traffic on Main Street, April 10.Sorority Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) and fraternity Sigma Phi Epsilon (SigEp) hosted a 24-hour Swing-A-Thon to raise over $3,000 for The Ronald McDonald House and Youth Aids.Representatives from each group took turns swinging on a patio swing outside of SigEp’s house, keeping it in constant motion for the full 24 hours.”We start at 2 p.m. [on Saturday] and go until 2 p.m. on Sunday,” ADPi President Caitlin Ratty said. “During those 24 hours, we collect money at the corners of Main Street and South Willard Street and downtown on Church Street.”In addition to these collections, ADPi and SigEp sold hamburgers, hot dogs and grilled cheese from 11 p.m. until 2 a.m. to people walking by the swing, Ratty said.”Overall, I think it went a lot better [this year] than last year because of the weather and because we enjoyed what we were doing,” Ratty said.Last year the Swing-A-Thon raised $1,750.”I am proud to say I am part of Sigma Phi Epsilon and proud that we are able to double what we made last year and then some,” first year Justin Adelman said. “It shows how much we care about our philanthropy in our community and how important it is to us. We truly want to find any way to make a difference.”