Jeffords’ Hall on schedule

Construction is underway on Senator James M. Jeffords’ Hall, the latest of a string of construction projects for the University. The building, whose plan for construction began in May, will house labs and classrooms in combination with space for the Plant and Soil Science Department and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.Last week wrapped up laying the concrete foundation, with the erection of the steel framework scheduled for this week according to project coordinator Michael Stevens. Construction is anticipated to continue through the winter, culminating in a scheduled opening in the spring of 2010. “We are about 20 to 25 percent complete with utility work, and about 50 percent done with concrete work,” Stevens said. “The first floor will be primarily teaching labs and classrooms with the second and third floor being for faculty offices and research centers.” Responding to complaints of nighttime construction noise from residents of the nearby Living/Learning Center, Stevens said that “95 percent of [construction work]” is during the daylight hours. He also said that the late-night noise could be attributed to last week’s concrete laying, which required some work to be done during night hours.The $55.7 million building received financial support from various resources. Senator Patrick Leahy secured $3 million in federal money, while the state financed another $10 million for the project, according to a University Communications press release.The 97,000 square foot building, located just outside the Davis Center oval on Main Street, follows the parameters of the University’s Environmental Design and Renovated Buildings policy. The policy, enacted in January, calls for all new University buildings to be built to the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system’s silver level. The LEED levels measure six individual areas, with a total possible score of 69. The silver range is from 33-38 points.Freeman French Freeman, Inc. along with Ellenzweig Associates, Inc., architects based in Cambridge, Mass., designed the building. DEW Construction Corporation, a Williston-based construction company, is working with the Rochester-based Pike Construction Management on the project.In the University’s press release, Senator Jeffords expressed enthusiasm for the project. “I am honored to have my name included among my friends and colleagues, Senator George Aiken and Senator Bob Stafford, whose names grace such important academic buildings on this venerable campus,” he said.”I’d like to extend my deep gratitude to the donors who have made possible this important project, which honors one of the University’s longest and greatest friends in Senator James M. Jeffords,” UVM President Daniel Mark Fogel said.