June Debris grows up

On Jan. 30, the Monkey House in Winooski was a melting pot of generations as a common interest in raw, pure music brought together high schoolers, college students and typical bar goers.Jonny Wanser, a 20-year-old from Burlington, with unbound optimism, a genuine vision and as the sole member of his band June Debris, sponsored and headlined his release showing.”In 2005, music was something that I just did – I played in a couple of hardcore bands, but left it on the backburner,” Wanser said. When the band broke up in 2007, I messed around with new programs and enjoyed making recorded things,” he said.During this developmental journey, “I met people throughout the years, networking through people, living in Brooklyn, N.Y. for a couple of years and touring on the East Coast,” Wanser said.The college-aged kid equipped with a MIDI controller, a 16 track, pre-recorded drum and bass and a guitar with FX, has used these connections to his advantage, creating a music label based out of Brooklyn. Young Optimists Records, Wanser’s label and apt self-description, has put out two releases with the help of friends.”We help bands that have nobody supporting them, bands with talent but without a fan base,” he said.Two of these bands, 15-year-old garage act Voles and hardcore act Vultures of Cult opened up for the American Apparel worker by day, music aficionado by night, Wanser said.Although a Tick Tick sponsored show, the setting lacked their trademark underground, artsy feel and the usual hipster following.While the noisy openers did not mesh with the ethereal, Postal Service tinged electronic June Debris, Wanser’s pursuit of originality is coming true, both in his choice of acts to take under his belt and his own pursuits.In Burlington, Wanser has found this originality to be a difficult undertaking. “Burlington has its positives and negatives: the people here are great, but not stimulated,” he said.”There are so many people out there with talent that just need help. Yet, the ones who get the playing time are those who sound just like every other band,” he said.As Wanser mused, he attributed his progression to his playfulness and outright rejection of classic standards. “I’m looking for playful artists, those willing to break out of their shell,” he said.He hopes to stay in that mindset eternally – “a lot of musicians become jaded. I don’t want it to happen to me,” he said.At 20, Wanser has nothing to fear.