Junior takes Truman

?Junior Jeanelle Achee is one of the 62 students in the nation who have been named a 2013 Harry S. Truman Scholar, a highly competitive national award that recognizes college juniors who have made a difference in public service. Achee, a nursing major, was selected out of 629 nominated students this year, a feat she described as ?surreal.??President Sullivan called to tell me, and I actually missed the phone call,? Achee said. ?He left me a voicemail and his personal number. I?ve been keeping this a secret since Friday, which has been incredibly hard.?Achee has participated in several organizations including Hope Works, re-election campaigns for Sen. Bernie Sanders, John Kerry and Barack Obama and created a leadership retreat for the Girl Scouts Beyond Bars that aims to help young women with a parent in prison, according to a University Communications press release.Achee is no stranger to distinction. She has also received state and national recognition in the form of the Duke of Edinburg Silver Award, the Miss America Community Service Award and the Vermont Governor?s Award for Outstanding Community Service.Achee said it can be difficult for the average student to be this involved. She is taking five years to graduate, and said that balancing school with community service was an issue of time management. ?It?s pretty hard to get involved with groups on campus,? she said. ?But I?m already excited to go out in the community and continue doing this work after college.?Achee is the fourth UVM student to win the award. Two other University students, juniors Tad Cooke and Hillary Laggis were chosen as finalists for this year?s Truman scholarship.The scholarship foundation, which was created in 1975 as a memorial to the 33rd president of the U.S.? who, ironically, did not hold a college degree? gives students an award of $30,000 toward graduate education.Achee said she credited her successes partially to social work faculty member JB Barna, Honors College fellowships advisor Britten Chase and director of the Global and Regional Studies Program Luis Vivanco.?Her combination of humility, dedication and insightfulness about people is amazing,? Vivanco told University Communications. ?While the Truman is an excellent reflection on her qualities and commitment, she?s an excellent reflection on the Truman program.?